Forever Changed
It was June and the week before my 7th birthday in the year 2001, that I received the worst news of my life. It would forever change me. I remember it just like yesterday. It plays in my mind just like a movie. I was outside playing by my pool pretending it was a waterfall and I was tossing dandelions into the water. Our screen door to our house was open and I heard the phone ring, bringing me out of my world. Then not a minute later my Dad called me to come inside. The minute I walked inside I knew something was not right. My mom was crying and my dad was not his usually happy self. Then my mom grabbed me and just held me crying. Finally my parents broke the news to me that I had joined my brother in the daily fight to control diabetes. I was officially diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes. In my family there is no history of diabetes. My brother and I would deal with the challenge together with the help of our parents. My life truly changed that day.
My Name Bailey
When I was a kid I hated my name. I don’t know why I just did. I use to tell my mom and dad that when I grew up I was going to change my name to Ruth. Why Ruth you probably are asking your self? Ruth, because I have a great grandmother on my mom’s side named Ruth. I also have another great grandmother on my dad’s side whose middle name is Ruth. So I thought that I should be a Ruth too. I was in the first grade and I even signed the name Ruth on my school papers. My first grade teacher Mrs. Moulton thought it was a hoot. My mom had my name picked out when she was in high school. She picked Bailey out because she thought it sounded western and thought it was really cute. As the years have passed and I have matured and grown up I have come to love my name, Bailey. It is not a very common name and it fits me. When I have my own kids, I hope to name a little girl Ruth.
BAILEY
Gender: Masculine & Feminine
Usage: English
Pronounced: BAY-lee [key]
From a surname derived from Middle English baili meaning "bailiff", originally denoting one who was a bailiff.
Source: behindthename.com
My Rover
After I was diagnosed with diabetes I received a gift from my aunt and my grandma and grandpa Curtis. The minute I opened the gift a connection was made. I received a brown, fuzzy, big eared, stuffed dog. He was quickly named Rover and became my best friend. He went with me to my first doctor’s appointment for diabetes. There the doctors taught me how to insert a set. The first one went into Rover and then me. Rover has been there for me during those scary nights when I had a bad dream. He has journeyed with me when my imagination took us to the castle or to the mountains where no one has ever been. When I was little and I couldn’t go to sleep I use to hug Rover. I thought he had magical powers to put me to asleep and all I had to do was hug him so the power would rub onto me. I’ve been many places and Rover has been along for the ride. He has traveled with me to South Dakota, California, Montana, Wyoming, Boise, West Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, and even Hawaii. I hope I have him forever.
My Brother
When someone asks me about a memorable friend, the first person that comes to my mind is my brother Dalan. My brother and I have a relationship most siblings don’t have. We are three years apart in age and we both have diabetes. We both understand the struggle that we go through to control diabetes. We both enjoy hunting, horse rides, and anything outdoors. Like normal siblings, we haven’t always got along. We have had our fights but in the end we always said sorry and we knew that we loved each other. My brother has always cared and worried about me. When I was in middle school he would pick me up from school and on the ride home we would always talk about our day. Sunday’s after church it was our dish day and we use to turn the music up and hurry to get done. Then we would go downstairs and watch a movie or play our favorite game Mario Brothers. My brother has always been there for me and I’ve always been there for him. Right now my brother is not living at home but I know that we will always be close and have each other’s back. My brother is one of my best friends ever.
| This is the front cover of her paper, isn't it so cute! |



1 comment:
Those made me cry. Good Job Bailey. Rover sure looked different back then. Less matted and shiny, gotta love the funny looking dog!
Post a Comment