"I Baptize you i the name of the Father..." As I stood and watched her baptism, I realized that only two weeks ago I had never even met Cathy. Now she was being baptized a member of the church. Her spirit was strong; I had felt it the first day I saw her. My children and I had gone for a walk. We were just passing a house a few blocks down when we noticed the people were just moving in. My oldest daughter Amber, who is six, said "lets knock and see if they have any kids." I smiled at her and then laughed a little and said "We don't knock on a stranger's door." At least I never had before, but today was different, I felt very strongly that we should knock. I took my three children and we walked up to the door. I knocked and a woman about my age answered. I introduced myself and told her that we lived a few blocks away and just wanted to say hi. She introduced herself and I found out she did indeed have kids, three of them, about the same age as mine. We talked a little while on her step, and then I said good-bye. the next day I had some visiting teaching that took me down by Cathy's house, so I thought I'd stop and ask if she would like to walk to the school with me to pick our children up. As we walked, my Bible fell out of the stroller. I picked it up and placed it back, but a strange look came from Cathy's face. She was quiet all the way to the school. As we waited for our kids she said "Can I ask you a very personal question?" I nodded my head and she said "What church do you belong to?" I said "I'm a Mormon." Tears welled in her eyes and she told me that she had been converted to the Mormon church in Ohio and had to move to Texas with her family before she could join. The persecution of the saints is still strong in Ohio and she was afraid of searching out the church on her own in a new place. The night before she left Ohio, the missionaries gave her a blessing. In this blessing she was told not to be afraid that she would not be left alone. She had only been in Texas two days when I felt compelled to knock on a stranger's door. I know that I am a child of God, and that I am special to him for on that day he looked down and said "My darling child Kellee, I have something for you to do for me today."
This is from Stacy's mission papers. This is a true story with people he knew in Texas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment