Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Dalan's thought on Elder Ballard's Conference Talk "Finding Joy Through Loving Service"
Our Love is Reflected in our Actions
Mom
Some of my thoughts as I read Elder Ballard's talk on service.
The first thing that hit me was the summary of topic before the article even began. "Show our love and appreciation for the Savior's atoning sacrifice through our simple, compassionate acts of service.
That's amazing, by serving and helping we are proving to God that we truly accept and appreciate the sacrifice His Son made on our behalf (which was the greatest and most selfless acts of service ever performed)
Read and Ponder, Jesus the Christ (Talmage)
Chapter 33
2nd to last section "The Lords agony in Gethsemane."
Christ took it all at once, everything comprehensible, and because of that we don't have to. That is under the condition of repentance.
In the Mesa Arizona Mission we have what is called mission culture. There are 5 points, the first being
1. We love God and others. All because we love God, truly love God and accept his will as ours, we love our fellow brethren and desire their happiness as well as ours. I think this is really awesome so I will outline it for you.
1. We love God and others
2. We are Obedient
3. We Work
4. We Baptise
5. We Expect and Facilitate Miracles
The last 4 are only possible if we are fully living #1. Because we love God, the rest follow. :) SWEET
Now we are on the level that we all love God and his Son. What things can we do to show it?
Many different example in the article but all of them come back to turning over our will. Keeping the commandments, having charity, serving.!:)
Bible Dictionary "Charity" Highest, noblest, strongest kind of love. Pure love of Christ.
In order to experience charity in it's purest form we need to be converted. BD Conversion towards the end it says "To labor for the conversion of one's self and others is a noble task."
Elder Ballard said one way is through missionary efforts.
One of my favorite sections in "Preach My Gospel" is service pg 87
As it says "One of the great blessings of membership in the church is the opportunity to serve". As Elder Ballard talks about he small flecks of gold, think of all the small acts of service performed that go unrecognized by many if not all.
I have often seen that if we are looking for that huge nugget we are not focused on pleasing God alone, but man, recognition, advancement, self worth.
So whether it is the call to be a full time missionary or a Nursery leader, it is the same. In all level, if we are working, looking, and living righteously, opportunities will arise in which we will be able to serve and make a difference.
Some thing I heard a while back that has really helped me stay focused is. When you are discouraged, disappointed, alone or in need. Do some thing good for some one else (serve) and you begin to realize how good you really got it. By helping other you help your self.
While on my mission I have had the chance to do a lot of good. But I still feel in debt. I learn more from those I serve than I think they learn from me. It is a humbling and sweet experience to be able to serve. I love my mission. I love God and that promotes me to do good and love others in a way I never thought possible. I feel a small taste of that essential and often times difficult Christ like attribute, charity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment