Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bailey's English Paper NIMRODS

Bailey Lerwill


Mrs. Pence

English 10 A, 7th per.

23 September 2010

Nimrods

My family comes from many generations of Nimrods. According to Random House Webster's School &Office Dictionary , Nimrod means: a great hunter. Hunting has been in my family for a long time. From generation to generation our fathers have taught their children how to hunt. My father learned from his father and my brother learned from our dad. We gave my brother the nickname of Nimrod. Since the age of twelve, I have also learned how to hunt and have officially became a Nimrod also.

When I turned twelve I quickly signed up for hunters safety. After the classes were over I purchased my license and was eager for fall to come, so I could buy a tag for a deer. Fall came quickly, the tag was bought, and the guns were ready. My dad, brother and I were all camouflaged up and ready for our hunt. We decided to go just above our house and see if we could see anything. Lucky for me, we saw a deer and we were in range for me to take a shot. While I held the gun I could barely keep it still because of excitement and heavy breathing. However, I was able to hold my breath and steady myself. I slowly pulled the trigger causing the deer to fall making my first year of hunting a success.

The next year my sights were set on a buck. I was trying so hard to be like my big brother, who had shot one earlier in the season. I wanted to shoot a bigger buck and beat his horn size. The season was soon ending and I was not presented with a chance to shoot a buck. Since I am a youth hunter I can hunt bucks or does. So on one of the last days of the season we were scouting our fields to find any game. We came across a small herd of does and fawns and the opportunity was right for me to take the shot at a doe. After the shot she ran fifty yards and collapsed. The adrenaline rushed through my body after the shot and while waiting to find her. With the help of my dad and brother we were able to locate and proceed with taking proper care of the meat. It was an exciting time.

The following year it was my third hunting season. I decided that I was going to take whatever I saw, buck or doe. It was the first day of deer season and my family and I were up in the Milk Creek area for several hours searching for any sign of deer. We had no luck, so we decided to head home . After we returned home we spotted some deer by the creek below our house. Carefully we made our way over to where the deer were. I had to shoot my brother's gun because I had forgot my shells. I had never shot it before, so I was a little nervous. I took his 30-06 in my arms and aimed it at the deer. The shot rang through the canyon as I had hit my target.

I am now entering my fourth season of hunting and hoping to get a buck, and my first bull elk . I will have to buy my tags, get shells, and make sure that I have everything I will need to be successful this year. I am excited for my dad to take me and have that time to be together. I wish that my brother could join us but he will not be here this year. We will continue on with this tradition and put meat in the freezer. We are excited for when he can join with us in our future hunts.

During the past three years of hunting deer I have fired three shots and killed three deer. I hope to keep the tradition of hunting in my family. I want to be able to see my kids shoot their first game and continue to raise Nimrods and enjoy this experience as a family.

No comments: