Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Katie August 6, 1981

I can't believe my little sister is having her last official birthday. You know "29 and holding!" Hey she is awesome and I will love her always. I was thinking about that night she was born and can not believe where time has gone. I had a friend over Cheri Trimble and we were sleeping outside on the lawn. Dad and Mom woke us up in the night and told us they were going to go to Rexburg because Mom was going to have the baby. Mom knew she was early but didn't think she was too early because of her previous babies all coming early and I think there was a mix up on the due date. Anyway we were really excited. That next morning Cheri and I wanted to get things ready and we did some stuff but then we got worried about if our new baby would even be o.k. so we took stuff down and didn't do anything. Katie was born and she was 2 months premature. She weighed 4 pounds 6 ounces. Soon after she was born they did a blood exchange and then they loaded her up in the ambulance and took her to Pocatello to the special baby intensive care. Mom I think just barely got to see her baby. It was a very scary time. A few days after she was born she only weighed 3 pounds 7 ounces. Katie stayed in Pocky for about 1 week and then she was transferred back to Rexburg. But during all this time Katie turned a black color. The doctors didn't know much about this condition call Bronze Baby. My Dad remembers being in Pocky and him and mom standing by their little black baby that was in the special bed and remember someone seeing them and thinking they were probably wondering why this white couple had this black baby. (This was before we had even seen many black people in our area of the world) The doctors told them that they thought she would lighten up and be white, but they were not sure. When back in Rexburg she was tube feed and started to gain weight and lighten up maybe a little. She was in Rexburg for a month. When we got to bring her home she was just under 5 pounds and was drinking from a bottle. She slowly lightened up to her beautiful skin color. She was so much fun and we all enjoyed her so much. She completed our family. I was so excited to have a sister, even if we are 14 years apart. She has been a huge part of my life and also Stacy's. Stacy helped me give her her 5th birthday party before his mission. Katie you are a wonderful daughter, sister, friend, and mother! Love you tons, hope you had a great birthday and many many more that I get to share with you! Love your sister DA!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thanks Da, you made me cry. Love you too!